Lesson 1: Flower Close Ups
Having had no rain for ages now, the hardest part of this assignment was finding a flower. Refusing to run into town (20 miles away) and after a two hour hiking search that provided nothing, I ended up using a silk flower arrangement left over from last fall. I took about 50 shots, trying to concentrate on back natural lighting from a window. One thing the Better Photo book talks about at length is experimenting with lighting and how it affects the shot so I played with several settings on my camera to try and recognize the differences.
The macro setting on the Sony was unbelievable. As in, it caught the dust clinging to the flowers (my bad!) and in some of the photos you are able to see individual threads of the fabric used to make the flowers.
Here are my favorite shots (more are available through my flickr feed at right):